- Stewardship Lives at First Church
- Board of Trustees
- Pastoral Care
- Weddings and Rites of Passage
- Resources, Policies, and Forms
- Give us your feedback
- Achievements under Vision 2010
- Member's Calendar
- Spread the Word!
- Ministers and Staff
- Drew Announces 2014 Retirement
- Staff Covenant
- Ministerial Covenant
- Adult Programs and Classes
- News & Events
- Groups and Committees
- First Church History
- Mission Statement
- LBGT Welcoming Congregation
- Music and the Arts
- Especially for Families
- Internet Links
- Child Care Information for Parents
- Ministers and Staff
- CHILDREN & TEENS
- Children's RE from A to Z
- Teen Programming and Religious Education
- First Sunday Activities for K5-7 Grades
- Social Action Projects for Children/Teens
- UNICEF Sunday!
- Food Packing for Hunger Relief
- Holiday Giving Tree
- Kids to Vote for May Partner Organization
- Mission Trip
- Family and Friends Committee
- RE Forms
- Welcoming Children into the Sanctuary
- SOCIAL JUSTICE
- Social Justice Council
- Common Ground
- Earth Justice Ministry
- Economic Justice
- First Friday Films
- McLaughlin Social Justice Initiatives
- Share the Plate
- Social Justice Council Action Groups
- Unitarian Universalist Service Committee
LGBT Welcoming Congregation
We welcome the diversity of life.
The First Unitarian Society of Milwaukee is officially recognized as a lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) Welcoming Congregation by the Unitarian Universalist Association. This is a declaration that we, as a congregation, commit ourselves to being a human place that affirms, welcomes and celebrates the presence of LGBT persons. We hope to serve as an inspiration to others who have not begun the work of greater inclusion and understanding.
To earn this recognition, we took the following steps:
- Education. We offer religious education that incorporates LGBT life issues, including a workshop series from the Welcoming Congregation Program of the Unitarian Universalist Association. We’ll continue to offer this type of educational programming.
- Congregational Life. We adjusted our congregational bylaws and other relevant documents to include an affirmative nondiscrimination clause concerning membership, hiring practices, the calling of religious professionals and the use of inclusive language and content as a regular part of worship services.
- Community Outreach. We celebrate and affirm LGBT issues and history during the church year and have established and maintain contact with local LGBT groups to offer support and promote dialogue and interaction.
- Commitment. In May of 2005, at our annual meeting, the congregation passed a resolution pledging to do its part to heal centuries of religious and societal oppression and prejudice, and to make our church a sanctuary of spiritual growth and welcome.
Follow this link for more information about the Unitarian Universalist Welcoming Congregation program.
Also, visit these on-line resources: Milwaukee Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender Community Center is a community-based organization whose mission is to improve the quality of life for LGBT people in the Metro Milwaukee area.
Fair Wisconsin is a statewide organization dedicated to advancing and protecting the civil rights of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender people.
Milwaukee PFLAG promotes the health and well-being of gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender persons, their families and friends through support, education and advocacy.