MARCH 26, 3:00-4:30 PM. Mark your calendar to attend Common Ground’s Assembly at Mt. Mary University at 2900 Menomonee River Parkway.
Common Ground listened to more than 720 residents who live in properties overseen by the Housing Authority of the City of Milwaukee (HACM). We learned that a pervasive pattern of unacceptable living conditions exists across these properties. Consequently, leaders from 43 member institutions and residents of several HACM properties voted to launch a campaign to raise the quality-of-life standards in all HACM residences.
Willie Hines, Executive Director of HACM, and Mark Wagner, HACM’s Chairman of the Board of Commissioners, have been invited to attend the March 26th Assembly to address the following urgent issues:
- Invest at least $75 million to bring properties up to standards.
- Create a resident-centered management system.
- Hire a third party pest control company to inspect each property.
- Develop and implement a new public safety plan.
- Respect tenants’ rights to assemble and organize.
- Fund a full-time ombudsman to conduct independent investigations of complaints.
First Church has committed to bring at least 30 members to the March 26 Assembly. Please sign up at the Social Justice table or look for online opportunities to join us as we work to improve living conditions for thousands of Milwaukee public housing residents.
Common Ground at First Church