Careers at First Church
First Unitarian Society of Milwaukee, a Unitarian Universalist congregation, is a progressive church based on diverse beliefs, intellectual freedom, spiritual community and social justice. We are a vibrant congregation of 750 members with numerous educational, spiritual development, and social justice ministries and programs. It is a great place to work.
Diversity and inclusion are core values of First Church. It is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate against any person because of race, color, gender, creed, ethnicity, sexual identity or orientation, age, class, disability, national origin or ancestry. We are interested in actively promoting more diversity within our congregation.
POSITION SUMMARY: First Church seeks a skilled half-time Communications Coordinator to manage a large volume of content generated by staff and volunteer contributors. The Coordinator will execute communications activities that advance our organizational goals. Reporting to the Director of Administration, this position will help build and retain membership while increasing engagement in congregational programs and issues advocacy.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Produce Content & Manage Production 65%: Manage and edit the development and distribution of all print and online content, ensuring relevance, accuracy and functionality, including:
- Website, blog, and social media activities.
- Oversee and edit weekly order-of-service announcements and e-newsletter, and monthly printed newsletter.
- Develop and produce various e-mail blasts, flyers, publications and signage.
- Improve Systems & Leaders’ Skills 15%: Coordinate improvements to communications systems to be most efficient and make the greatest impact.
- Train staff and church member content-contributors to be most effective messengers. Help leaders use available resources for communication.
- Present innovative ideas for cost-effective, results-oriented communications activities and campaigns.
- Track and Report Results 10%: Track and analyze results to meet benchmarks for all communications. Report monthly on performance of communications efforts. Modify communications activities based on analysis.
- Develop Strategy 10%: Working with management team, and referring to analytical data, develop communication strategies.
- Work with Volunteers: Leverage talents and skills of volunteers to accomplish these tasks when possible and effective. Execute communications activities to implement marketing campaigns developed by expert volunteers.
- Two to four years of related work experience, preferably in a non-profit setting.
- Keen eye for proof-reading and editing.
- Strong written communication skills.
- Working knowledge of MS Office, WordPress, FaceBook, Twitter and Constant Contact.
- Keen attention to detail and ability to manage competing priorities.
- Supportive of Unitarian Universalist values and our approach to liberal religion.
Salary: Competitive salary, commensurate with experience. This is a half-time exempt position.
Benefits: Health insurance, paid holidays and sick leave, begin with two weeks of vacation per year, retirement savings contribution to a 403b plan in an amount equaling 10% of gross salary after one year of service.
To Apply: Email the following to Jean Johnson. Please include “Communications Coordinator” in the subject line.
- Your resume.
- A detailed cover letter that outlines your relevant experience and how you meet the qualifications.
- Work samples that demonstrate your editing and writing experience.