Careers at First Church
JOB DESCRIPTION – RELIGIOUS EDUCATION ASSISTANT
SCOPE OF THE JOB: Reporting to the Minister of Religious Education, the RE Assistant’s role on the staff team is to help maintain and enhance an integrated program of religious growth and learning at First Unitarian Society of Milwaukee. Primary responsibilities support the area of Children’s Religious Education programming and outreach to our congregation on Sunday mornings.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide office support for the Minister of Religious Education and Youth Program Coordinator.
- Provide a warm, helpful, and welcoming presence on Sunday mornings for church families and volunteers.
- Manage and staff RE Table, including the sign-in process for RE attendees on Sunday mornings.
- Provide leadership and teaching assistance in Sunday School classes as needed.
- Communicate with children, parents, volunteers and congregation about Religious Education.
- Support Religious Education volunteers.
- Assist with the process and tracking of R.E. volunteer screening, schedules and sign-ups.
- Provide support for RE special events.
- Clerical and some database work in support of Children’s Religious Education.
- Manage and maintain and stock supplies for Religious Education.
- Monitor safety and cleanliness of RE spaces.
- Attend weekly RE staff meetings and weekly All Staff meetings in person or online.
- Notetaking at monthly Children Religious Education committee meetings.
- Additional tasks upon request of Minister of Religious Education.
- Experience working with children, families and the ability to work with church volunteers.
- Written and verbal communication skills.
- Computer skills including Microsoft Office (Word, Excel). In addition, the ability to learn and utilize technology including Zoom, online volunteer sign-ups, resource platforms and database management tasks.
- Ability to work independently and maintain confidentiality.
- Dependability, a warm and welcoming presence, interpersonal and organizational skills.
- A basic understanding of, and appreciation for, Unitarian Universalism.
- COVID-19 Vaccination and booster.
HOURS: The RE Assistant work hours include weekdays, occasional weeknights, and Sunday mornings. Sunday work is required September—May, with up to three Sundays off negotiable as part of the scheduled hours. This is a twelve-month, 15-18 hour per week position; Summer Sunday work is flexible and scheduled in conjunction with Supervisor.
PAYMENT: $12-15.00 per hour. Taxes will be withheld. Paychecks will be distributed every two weeks.
SUPERVISION: The Minister of Religious Education will provide on-site supervision. Concerns or questions about policies can be referred to the MRE.
ABSENCE: The RE Assistant may be absent, without compensation, for up to five Sundays per church year, when arrangements are made at least one month in advance with the MRE.
SICK LEAVE: In the event of illness or an emergency, the RE Assistant should arrange for a substitute from the sub list provided and contact the MRE. Persistent tardiness or absence may be considered grounds for dismissal.
Tenor or Bass Choral Scholar Opening
Position available for 2022-2023 church year
The First Unitarian Society of Milwaukee is currently accepting applications for a Tenor or Bass Choral Scholar position in our church. This paid internship commences immediately and is designed to provide collegiate Music students the opportunity to gain performance experience in a liberal religious setting.
Choral Scholars sing with the First Unitarian Chancel Choir for rehearsals on Thursdays from 7:15 to 9:00 p.m. and for Sunday services when the choir is scheduled, typically about once a month between September and early June, plus one service on Christmas Eve. Sunday duties include warm-up/rehearsal at 8:15 a.m. and two church services at 9:00 and 11:00 a.m. Rehearsals start mid-August and end at the beginning of June. There may also be opportunities for Scholars to perform solos or in small groups for additional pay.
Choral Scholars are compensated $30 for each Thursday rehearsal and each Sunday service. We have an opening for a Tenor or Bass choral scholar for the 2022-2023 church year.
A Unitarian Universalist congregation, the First Unitarian Society of Milwaukee affirms Music as a vitally important spiritual resource. Just as we can learn from Jesus, Buddha, and Mohammed, so too can we learn from J.S. Bach, John Coltrane, and Joan Baez. Indeed, our Sunday services are filled with music as varied as the beliefs of our congregation.
To be considered for an audition, please submit your resume to our Choral Director, Tristan Strelitzer, at email@example.com. Select candidates will be contacted to schedule an audition, which will consist of the following:
- Two contrasting vocal solos of your choice, no more than 2 min. each. (Accompanist will be provided)
- Sight-singing choral harmony
- Short interview
The First Unitarian Society of Milwaukee is committed to building a community that is culturally diverse and encourages applications from people of all genders, sexualities, ages, races, ethnicities, histories, and bodies.
If you have questions about the position, please contact Tristan Strelitzer by e-mail or at 262-442-3508.