Our Whole Lives (OWL) for Eighth Graders
First Church proudly offers Our Whole Lives (OWL), the nationally renowned human sexuality curriculum developed in collaboration by the Unitarian Universalist Association and the United Church of Christ. In addition to facts about anatomy and human development, OWL helps participants:
- clarify their values
- build interpersonal skills
- understand the spiritual, emotional, and social aspects of sexuality
OWL is offered annually to children of church members who are entering 8th grade. Parents are required to participate in an in-depth orientation each year prior to their child’s enrollment in the program.
Updated OWL curriculum includes more current topics, such as social media, date rape, and contemporary gender understandings.
Our Whole Lives Values:
- Self Worth
- Sexual Health
Our Whole Lives offers:
- Up-to-date, accurate, age-appropriate information
- Effective group-building to create a safe and supportive peer group
- Education about sexual abuse, exploitation, and harassment
- Opportunities to critique media messages about gender and sexuality
- Age-appropriate answers to participants’ questions
- A Unitarian Universalist religious component
- OWL is open only to children of church members.
- Parents/Guardians must attend a mandatory orientation before classes start, even if prior children have participated.
- The OWL class has strict attendance and behavior policies in order to maintain the integrity of the group.
Our Whole Lives transmits a great deal of valuable information, but more importantly, it promotes compassion and responsibility. As my 15-year-old told me, ‘Our Whole Lives does much more than teach us plumbing, Mom. It helps us to know what we should do in a difficult situation.”
— Sylvia Ann Hewlett | Chair, National Parenting Association
For more information on the First Church OWL program
Deb Solis, Youth Program Coordinator