By Bruce Wiggins, Denominational Affairs Coordinator
This year, for the first time anyone can remember at First Church, we had a full slate of 16 member delegates to conduct our association’s business at General Assembly (GA). Eleven attended GA in New Orleans while five were off-site delegates. Janet Nortrom, who attended in person, shares her thoughts with us.
“There are SO MANY wonderful things to report from this years’ GA gathering; which had over 4,000 UU’s present. I share with you some of the exciting highlights that happened.
- First Church receiving the United Nations “Blue Ribbon Award”
- Electing the first UUA female President, the Rev. Susan Frederick-Gray from Phoenix, Arizona.
- Singing in a 400-member choir, under the direction of Mark Vogel, at both Sunday morning worship and the closing ceremony.
- Seeing Brook Worzella-Best, Chet Best and Bruce Wiggins march with our First Church banner in the opening ceremony.
- Hearing the WARE lecture presenter and author of Just Mercy, Bryan Stevenson, remind us we must work together.
- Synergy Bridging ceremony with youth transitioning into adulthood.
- Love Resists–the Public Witness with hundreds marching for justice through New Orleans.
- Women’s Federation breakfast; this celebrated 40 years of women and religion and hearing the UUWF Sermon Award.
- Black Lives of UU: Convening and Ongoing Work.
- Attending CUUPS Summer Solstice ritual Shining Justice’s Light.
- Attending immigration, sanctuary, and refugee solidarity lectures.
- Meadville Lombard Seminary’s Awakening Innovation in faith formation practices.
- Advocating Equity & Human Rights for Climate Justice with Bruce Knotts, UN Director, and Salote Sogo, UUSC program leader.
Ask me about so much more and plan on coming to GA 2018 in Kansas City.”