Black Lives Matter
For more information, contact
At First Church, we are engaged in conversations, learning and action in support of this movement, in coordination with the Unitarian Universalist Association’s Standing on the Side of Love, a campaign that seeks to harness love’s power to stop oppression.
The Black Lives Matter movement is one we care deeply about at First Church. We’re happy to provide you with some resources for this ongoing movement:
- Did you see the article that ran in the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel about our Black Lives Matter event in January 2016?
- #BlackLivesMatter: A Guide to the Movement
- A beautiful and motivating letter from UUA President Peter Morales.
Black Lives Matter: Blog posts from First Church leaders. Read what our ministers and others have to say about the tragic disregard for black lives in Milwaukee and in the U.S. Join the discussion here.
- A UN Event on Structural Racism Against People of African Descent
- Ferguson, Social Movements and Gangs — a blog post from a First Church member, inspired by the one-year anniversary of the death of Michael Brown.
- Statement Regarding Black Lives Matter Signs in Front of Unitarian Universalist Congregations(from the Organizing Collective of Black Lives of UU)
- Standing on the Side of Love — Faith, Race & Justice
- Religious Education Recommended Book List
- Watch “‘White Privilege II’ By Macklemore & Ryan Lewis Featuring Jamila Woods” on YouTube here.
- Facebook pages and groups:
- Black Lives Matter Milwaukee Facebook page, operated by First Church members.
- UUs Resisting New Jim Crow & Mass Incarceration
- Are UU Awake
- UU Allies For Racial Equity Discussion Group (closed group — apply)
- Black Lives of UU
- Coalition for Justice
- Mothers for Justice United
- Showing Up for Racial Justice (SURJ) Milwaukee
- Families for Justice