Share the Plate
Since 2011, our Share the Plate program has provided an opportunity for church members to make contributions to important social programs that embody our Unitarian Universalist values in the wider community. Each month, the Share the Plate team provides information to the congregation about recipients selected from nominations submitted by church members. This is a wonderful way to assist many excellent programs that provide services for residents in our area.
September 2021 STP Partner
See our web page to learn about, and donate to: American Foundation for Suicide Prevention
TO DONATE DURING COVID-19
During the COVID-19 pandemic, we urge you to give to each organization which will be highlighted during online Sunday services and in other announcements. Use this link, also provided during service, to give simply and securely online. Your entire online contribution will be sent to the month’s Share the Plate partner.
When we return to Sunday services in the Sanctuary, we will once again “share the plate” that is passed during Sunday service offertory. We hope that First Church members who are able will continue to give what they can to help others in these challenging times.
For information about how to nominate an organization for the future, see the information below.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
- How do I donate to the organization for this month? Use this link for secure, simple online giving. This link will also be provided during online services.
- How does it work when children or youth select the Share the Plate recipient? The Youth Steering Committee selects the recipient for the month of their annual Youth Service, usually February or March. Children vote during Sunday School to choose the recipient for the month of May.
- Why are children and youth invited to choose a recipient? We believe that every person should have a vote about the things that concern them.
- Who selected the organizations from which the children choose? The Children’s Religious Education Team. Parents and guardians, talk with your kids about the organizations so they make an enthusiastic choice!
Please review the following criteria before nominating an organization to be considered as a recipient of funds raised through our Share the Plate program. Note: Because of the current situation in our world due to the pandemic, and all of the social justice issues that have been exacerbated by it, we encourage you to nominate organizations that help those most impacted by this crisis.
Other criteria are that the organization:
- aligns with UU principles and values, and with our First Church mission.
- has wide appeal.
- provides services predominantly in the Milwaukee metro area.
- is non-profit, usually with 501(c)(3) status.
- has a track record and verifiable history of performance.
- uses a high percentage of its budget for programming (80% or more preferred).
- addresses issues identified as important by the congregation.
Click here for a complete list of Share the Plate recipients since the program began in January 2011.