By Deb Solis, Youth Program Coordinator
Healing doesn’t mean the damage never existed.
It means to know what it’s like to be afraid of your own mind.- The Fresh Quotes
- Our YRUU group has lots of energy and enthusiasm for this coming church year. We had twenty three ninth through twelfth graders in attendance on Ingathering Sunday.
- Bagels are back in the Common Room between services and your $2.00 donation helps support our youth on their annual Habitat for Humanity Mission Trip to Battle Creek, Michiga
- Some Sunday morning youth group topics include Comparing Religions, End of the World Stories and Astrology.
- Our Youth Steering Committee (YSC) is working on planning the November fundraiser (details shall be announced soon) and plans are underway for our first overnight Lock-in October.
- Our YRUU covenant for this year is: Together, we will be present on this comfortable, open-minded island, that is built on a foundation of trust, respect, and fun.
New to youth programing this year:
We would like to strengthen the support of our high school youth in their faith development and articulation of their beliefs when it comes time to delivering their Senior Credos to the congregation on RE Sunday in May 2017. We are coordinating a series of quarterly discussions with our Senior Minister, Associate Minister, Director of RE and myself as your Youth Program Coordinator where we will talk about UU beliefs and values and ask questions to enable the youth to be accountable for their credo statements. This year we have the possibility of six high school seniors delivering their credos to the congregation.
Since we are seeking two NEW Mission trip advisors this year we thought it would be a good idea to coordinate monthly meetings with our entire advisor team and our youth leads before Thanksgiving in November 2016. This means that we are asking youth to commit to the 2017 Mission trip to Battle Creek, Michigan by Sunday, October 30, 2016. I am distributing general information sheets in the YRUU Sunday morning youth group starting on September 25. This packet explains the criteria for participation on the mission trip. I shall be holding an informational Parent and new youth meeting on Sunday, October 16 to answer any questions you may have.
Our New Mission trip Timeline looks like this:
- September 25, 2016- Youth applications available online and in YRUU youth group
- October 16, 2016- Initial Parent/New youth informational meeting
- October 30, 2016- All youth applications and letters due
- November 6, 2016- Interview all youth for 2017 trip
First Unitarian Society of Milwaukee is a home for spiritual community, social justice, and intellectual freedom, active in Milwaukee since 1842. Unitarian Universalism is an inclusive denomination; core principles include recognition of the worth and dignity of every person; respect for the interdependent web of existence; and the goal of world peace, liberty and justice.